EPISODE #1: “Jail”
MAY 05, 2014
In our first episode, we explore the entrenched relationship country music in California has had with stints in prison… both literal and metaphorical. From a Keb Mo version of Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues” to the Grateful Dead covering Merle Haggard’s “Mama Tried” we scrape the surface of our California cell walls with our first hashmark. #California-Country.
- I’m a Lonesome Fugitive – Merle Haggard.
- Cash on the Barrelhead – Gram Parsons.
- Mama Tried – Grateful Dead.
- Streets of Bakersfield – Dwight Yoakam/Buck Owens.
- Ball and Chain – Social Distortion.
- Lonesome Whistle – Beck.
- Busted in Baylor County – Shooter Jennings.
- L.A. County Blues – The Band of Heathens.
- Knoxville Girl – The Louvin Brothers.
- The Best of All Possible Worlds – Kris Kristofferson.
- Jailhouse Tears – Lucinda Williams.
- Folsom Prison Blues – Keb’ Mo’.
- Green Green Grass of Home (Live) – Johnny Cash.